Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Squirrel Salad

fox squirrel (Sciurus niger) It must be diet time for everyone! Or did he forget where the buried nuts are? This fox squirrel certainly looks like he could loose a few pounds. Of course he is all fluffed up due to the cold. He (or she, I cannot really tell with all that fluff) has been coming up to the deck and munching on these leaves. These are leaves of the fall pansies I purchased and never got around to properly disposing to the compost bins after the first snow. Wonder if I had left other frozen plants in the pots if the squirrels would be eating them? I would not recommend leaving frozen plants and dirt in clay pots to attract squirrels. If for no other reason, usually the pot will crack and have to be replaced come spring. I did not know that squirrels ate green leaves but now that I think about it, I wonder if he/she is the one who was grazing the succulents I had out on the deck this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment